It didn't take long to cut, juice and slice the dozen souvenir lemons I brought back from Spanish Hooky jaunt #1- Catalunya. I didn't want to do anything fancy, just save the juice for a sweet/tart curd and preserve the untreated, natural rinds.
The French Kitchen recipe:
- 12 organic lemons
- cut in half and juice (reserving juice for lemon curd)
- weigh and slice the rinds in thin strips
- measure an equal weight of sugar (e.g.- 500 grams sugar to 500 grams lemon rind)
- toss in a stainless steel pot, dump the sugar over them, let them sit together all night
- next morning, cooked the rinds in their syrup-- very slowly, all morning until the syrup was thick and the rinds are still a little chewy.
- pour into 3 jars; give one to a friend, put one in the cupboard, then make toast.
This Sunday morning breakfast- a still hot baguette from the boulanger at Brax, salted butter and lemon marmalade with a steaming cup of café-au-lait.Wish you were here...